Port Blair, July 30: Mr. Kuldeep Rai Sharma, Member of Parliament, A&N Islands has suggested the Lt. Governor, A&N Islands few measures for implementation to contain the spread of COVID-19 cases as well as to upgrade COVID-19 treatment facilities in the A&N Islands since COVID-19 positive cases are increasing in these Islands.
He said that on the day of resumption of flight/ ship services between mainland i.e. Chennai / Kolkata and Port Blair on 25.05.2020, there were ‘NIL’ COVID-19 positive case in entire Andaman & Nicobar Islands. However, within the period of approximately 2 (two) months since resumption of flights and ships services between Port Blair and mainland, 395 COVID positive cases have been detected and as on date there are 225 active cases with three fatality. With deaths occurring due to COVID-19 the people are in a state of panic since we have lack of Medical infrastructure. Since, in mainland the COVID-19 positive cases are fast increasing with metropolitan cities of Chennai, Kolkata, Delhi, Mumbai etc being affected the most, the possibility of Islanders travelling from mainland to Port Blair becoming infected by COVID – 19 always remains high.
Hence, considering the rapid increase in COVID – 19 positive cases in these Islands which in due course of time may turn into community spread, Mr. Sharma, MP suggested following few measures for implementation so as to contain the spread of COVID – 19 and to have adequate medical facilities to treat the COVID-19 positive patients in Andaman & Nicobar Islands.
- As GB Pant Hospital is the only referral Hospital in the Islands where daily more than 1000 outpatients of all ages comes for treatment of various diseases in addition to near about 500 in-patients who are admitted in the hospital for treatment. Hence, it is felt inappropriate to have COVID -19 isolation ward attached to the GB Pant Hospital in view of Port Blair and its adjourning localities witnessing rapid increase in COVID-19 positive cases and continuing treatment of COVID-19 in GB Pant Hospital may turn it into hotspot endangering community transmission, resulting in closure of the lone referral hospital in the Island.
- The magnitude in which the COVID-19 positive cases are increasing in these Islands, the 50 bedded isolation facility made in the GB Pant Hospital is going to fall short in due courses of time. Hence the number of beds to be increased from 50 to 500 with COVID -19 treatment facilities shifted to different locations.
- As of now there are only 7 MD (Medicine) Doctors available in GB Pant Hospital for attending patients suffering from various diseases who are also engaged for treatment of COVID-19. By seeing the present COVID-19 alarming in the Islands, the Andaman & Nicobar Administration should request Government of India to provide atleast 5 (five) more numbers of MD (Medicine) Doctors for Port Blair till COVID-19 prevails in these Islands.
- As more and more number of Paramedical staff are getting infected by COVID-19, it has became a matter of great concerned since number of Paramedical staffs are very limited in the GB Pant Hospital to attend COVID-19 and patients suffering from other diseases. Therefore the need of hours is to appointment atleast 50 Nos. Staff Nurse on contract basis. Similarly Ward Attendants, Ambulance Drivers, Sweepers etc may also be appointed as per requirement whose service are essentially required to combat the prevailing situation of COVID19 in these Islands.
- Administration may request the Director General, ICMR to provide more number of COVID-19 testing machines at the earliest, since due to increasing of positive cases there is heavy work load on the existing limited machines to conduct tests.
- Facilities to increase the number of COVID-19 test per day may be done at ICMR, Port Blair.